Education and Language
QIA’s Post-Secondary Scholarships
Each year QIA awards over $200,000 in annual scholarships to Qikiqtani students pursuing post-secondary education. This includes 80 QIA scholarships at $2,500/year as well as the $5,000 John Amagoalik scholarship.
Feedback from students has shown the scholarships make a significant impact on helping Inuit access post-secondary education.
QIA typically issues a call for applicants at the end of each summer, and depending on the number of returning applicants, a second call in January. All applications must be submitted online.
Criteria for the QIA and John Amagoalik scholarship:
- Qikiqtani Inuit enrolled with Nunavut Tunngavik Inc (NTI) under the Nunavut Agreement
- Have lived in the Qikiqtani Region for the last 12 months or more
- Enrolled in a post secondary education program
To learn more or to access the application:
Word of the Day
Bringing Awareness to Inuktitut Language and Inuit Art
The Word of the Day program was created to promote Inuktitut language and Inuit artwork through QIA’s Facebook, Instagram and Twitter social media.
The Word of the Day program launched in February 2017. The program posts a daily Inuktitut word and/or phrase with translation and pronunciation information and pairs it with Inuit artwork. The Word of the Day program quickly gained popularity with some of the posts liked and shared hundreds of times. In winter 2019 the program was expanded to include audio clips of each word and phrase.
SPROUTS Day Camp
Building Inuit Youth Leadership, Teamwork and Life Skills
QIA is proud to fund the SPROUTS Summer Day Camp Program. This program provides care, fun and education for children aged 5-9, special helpers (ages 10-12) and staff (ages 13-18). SPROUTS runs annually in Iqaluit for four to six weeks during July and August.
The core purpose of this program is for Inuit youth to learn leadership skills, teamwork and program design and delivery. Using traditional Inuit practices to engage in the learning of science and arts, children and youth participate in a variety of activities, including:
- arts and crafts
- sports and group games
- science activities
- on-the-land activities – clam digging, fishing, and other outings
- cooking and chores to teach responsibility
SPROUTS was first initiated in 1996 and has become an annual program in Iqaluit. It allows up to 50 children and youth to participate and learn traditional summer activities each year. QIA works with communities to run similar programs in the Qikiqtani communities.
QIA thanks Actua for providing the science programming portion of our SPROUTS day camp.
Creating Inuktitut Language Books
QIA has worked with Inhabit Media for nearly a decade on our Pigiarutittiavait program which creates Inuktitut language children’s books. They have supported our vision and helped us turn our ideas into concrete outputs.
The books published under this program are sent to schools and daycares in the Qikiqtani Region. They are also available for free download on the Nunavut Bilingual Education Society website.
Pigiarutittiavait Program Books
- Uumajut – Learn About Arctic Wildlife, Simon Awa, Anna Ziegler and Stephanie McDonald
- Uumajut – Learn About Arctic Wildlife 2, Simon Awa, Seeglook Akkeeagok, Anna Ziegler, and Stephanie McDonald
- A Walk on the Tundra, Rebecca Hainnu and Anna Ziegler
- The Qalupalik, Elisha Kilabuk
- Under the Ice, Rachel A. Qitsualik
- Inuksiutiit/Inuit Tools, Inhabit Media
- Miqqullit Tariurmiutat/Marine Mammals, Inhabit Media
- Grandmother Ptarmigan, Qaunaq Mikkigak and Joanne Schwartz
- Ukaliq Puppies, Inhabit Media
- Sweetest Kulu, Celina Kalluk
- Uqariuqsautiit, Nadia Mike
- Fishing with Grandma, Susan Avingaq and Maren Vsetula
- Lessons for the Wolf, Rachel and Sean Qitsaualik-Tinsley
- Ukiuqtaqtumi Tingmiat, Inhabit Media, Inuktitut only
- Ukaliq and Kalla Go Fishing, Nadia Mike
- Action Words (Moving Around), Inhabit Media, Inuktitut only
- Eliaspee and Her Baby Seagull, Nancy Mike
- How we Hunt a Bowhead, Joanasie Karpik, Inuktitut only
- Putuguq & Kublu and the Qalupalik, Roselynn Akulukjuk & Danny Christopher
- My Emotions, Inhabit Media, Inuktitut only
- The Fox Wife, Beatrice Deer