RADIO SCRIPT: April 9, 2020 – QIA’s Emergency Grocery Vouchers for Elders
I am your Community Director/Community Liaison Officer for the Qikiqtani Inuit Association.
I want to share an update on the Emergency Grocery Vouchers for Elders. This is part of the QIA COVID-19 response plan.
The response plan is designed to provide short-term financial support to Qikiqtani Inuit Elders during the COVID-19 pandemic.
The emergency program is in place for 12 weeks. QIA is delivering this program through Arctic Co-op stores in your community.
Here is how this works:
- Under this program, a Qikiqtani Inuit Elder is someone who is 60 years and older and is living in the Qikiqtani Region
- Each voucher is worth $250
- You get it as a grocery card
- Each Qikiqtani Elder can get six vouchers for a total of $1,500
- Go to the co-op store in your community to pick up a grocery card
- The cards can be picked on the following dates:
- April 14 April 28
- May 12 May 26
- June 9 June 23
You DO NOT need to register for this program.
All Qikiqtani Elders, registered with Nunavut Tunngavik, are automatically enrolled.
The vouchers can be used to buy groceries and supplies at Co-op stores.
There are no restrictions on what you can buy with your card.
This emergency support is for Elders.
QIA has asked the stores NOT to give out cards to someone who is not on the list.
We want as many Elders as possible to benefit.
If an Elder is not able to go to the Co-op they can contact QIA staff and appoint someone else to pick up the card for them.
For more information on this program you can e-mail: COVIDfirstname.lastname@example.org or call: 1-867-975-8383.
QIA joins health authorities in encouraging Qikiqtani Inuit to protect yourself and your community.
The best way to prevent the spread of COVID-19 is to:
- Wash your hands often
- Cough and sneeze into your arm
- Avoid touching your face, especially your eyes, nose or mouth
- Practice social distancing
- This means stay home
- avoid getting together with others
- Work from home if possible
DO NOT FORGET to self-isolate if you have any of the symptoms of COVID-19.
These symptoms include a fever, cough or trouble breathing.
If the symptoms get worse call your local health clinic. Do not go to a clinic without calling first.
I know that these are difficult time, but if we all work together; we can protect our communities.
Please visit our website at qia.ca for more information and daily updates.
You can also get the latest news and updates from our Facebook, Twitter and Instagram accounts.
Thank you very much for your time. Have a good day and stay safe.