PSA: QIA relaunches Emergency Vouchers for Elders Program
DATE ISSUED: December 9th, 2021
EVENT: QIA’s Emergency Grocery Vouchers for Elders
The Qikiqtani Inuit Association’s initiative to help Elders during the ongoing COVID-19 pandemic will be reopened thanks to new funds made available through the Indigenous Communities Support Fund.
The Emergency Grocery Vouchers for Elders is now available from December 14, 2021, to March 22, 2022. This initiative also supports Qikiqtani Inuit who are 60 or older living within Nunavut.
This initiative is designed to provide short-term financial support to Qikiqtani Inuit Elders during the ongoing COVID-19 pandemic.
QIA is delivering this program through Arctic Co-op stores in most communities. In Iqaluit, the program is running through Arctic Ventures. In Clyde River, the program is being delivered through the Northern store.
Here is how this works:
- Under this program, a Qikiqtani Inuit Elder is an Inuk 60 years or older on or before March 31, 2022, living in the Qikiqtani Region, and registered with Nunavut Tunngavik Inc.
- Each voucher is worth $250
- The first two vouchers will be distributed on December 14
- Each Qikiqtani Elder can get 8 vouchers for a total of $2,000
- You get the voucher as a grocery card
- You can go to the Co-op store in your community to pick up a grocery card
- In Clyde River, you can pick up at the Northern Store
- The cards can be picked on the following dates:
- December 14
- January 11
- January 25
- February 8
- February 22
- March 8
- March 22
All Qikiqtani-enrolled Elders, registered with Nunavut Tunngavik, and living in the Qikiqtani region are automatically eligible.
QIA has asked the stores NOT to give out cards to someone who is not on the list. If you need to send someone as your proxy, please contact QIA at the information below.
For more information on this program, you can e-mail: COVIDemail@example.com or call: 1-867-975-8383.
Please visit the QIA website at qia.ca for more information and daily updates, QIA offices will be closed from December 15th at 1PM to January 5th.
You can also get the latest news and updates from QIA’s Facebook, Twitter, and Instagram accounts.
For more information, please contact:
Qikiqtani Inuit Association