Media Release: QIA Accepting 2020-2021 Scholarship applications
Iqaluit, Nunavut – September 1, 2020 – The Qikiqtani Inuit Association (QIA) is now accepting applications for all our 2020-2021 post-secondary scholarships. Students can now apply using our unified easy to navigate online application form for all QIA scholarships.
This is the fourth year QIA is offering the $200,000 in scholarships in addition to its existing $5,000/year John Amagoalik Scholarship. The 80 QIA scholarships at $2,500/year, are awarded on a first-come-first-serve basis to students from the Qikiqtani Region pursuing post-secondary education.
The $5,000 John Amagoalik Scholarship honours the efforts of John Amagoalik towards the betterment of Inuit in Nunavut. QIA will prioritize applications from post-secondary students entering a field that promotes Inuit language and culture.
“The QIA scholarships are helping more Qikiqtani students access post-secondary education,” says QIA president P.J. Akeeagok, “they assist young people with educational expenses like books and school supplies so Inuit students can focus on learning.”
The deadline for applications is Friday, September 18, 2020.
By using the online QIA scholarship application, students can apply for one or both of these scholarships. Please note, in order to submit your application all supporting documents are required.
Criteria for both Scholarships:
- Applicants must have a valid Nunavut Tunngavik Inc. card and be Inuit under the Nunavut Agreement in the Qikiqtani Region
- Students must be permanent residents in one of the 13 Qikiqtani communities – exceptions are made for students living in other locations while enrolled as a full-time post-secondary student
- Proof of enrollment in a post-secondary academic institution
- Social Insurance Number
Additional criteria for the John Amagoalik Scholarship:
- Students must be enrolled in a post-secondary academic institution, preferably in a field that promotes Inuit language and culture for the September and January semesters
- A 500-word essay on how you feel your aspirations are influenced by John Amagoalik and the Nunavut Agreement
- A recent resume
- Copies of most recent transcripts
- Two reference letters preferably from a teacher, professor or employer who has closely worked with you
- Students must maintain a full course load and a passing grade point average in order to receive the scholarships
The online application can be accessed here: https://www.qia.ca/scholarship-application/
If students need assistance with the completion of the QIA scholarships application, they can contact their local QIA Community Liaison Officer.
For more information, please contact:
Sima Sahar Zerehi,
Director of Communications,
Qikiqtani Inuit Association